History of Avery
Avery Elementary School, built in 2007, had its grand opening on August 6, 2007, with an opening enrollment of 1053 serving grade Kindergarten through Fifth Grade. In order to manage community growth in Woodstock and Canton, Georgia, students merged into Avery ES from three feeder schools, namely Buffington, Hickory Flat and Macedonia Elementary Schools.
Avery ES received its name based on the history of its location. In 1895, a one-room school house named Avery was built in the same community. It is believed that Avery was the first school built in Cherokee County. In 1957, Avery merged with Buffington ES and Avery was torn down. More than 100 years later, the community felt strongly that the new school be named Avery ES. The school colors are blue, green and gold; one color was taken from each of the three feeder schools to symbolize unity as the schools came together under one roof. These colors are also the same as Creekland MS and Creekview HS, the Innovation Zone feeder schools.
Avery ES exudes technology throughout the entire school. It is the first elementary school in Cherokee County School District that is completely fiber optic and wireless. Instead of standard whiteboards in classrooms, electronic promethean boards are used. With a program classed MediaCast, teachers can utilize anything they need on their boards with the click of a button!
When walking through the hallways of Avery ES, one is immediately struck by not only the largeness of the building (Avery is one of the largest schools in the county based on square footage), but of the inviting, calm, nurturing, environment that is pervasive throughout the school. This feeling tone is due to implementation of a school wide behavior program entitled “Love and Logic”. The primary goal of the Love and Logic program is to give teachers, parents and others working with children practical strategies for reducing behavior problems, increasing motivation, and building assets that contribute to life-long responsibility and resiliency. Love and Logic has distinct character education qualities embedded in its program that teachers, parents and students embrace within in the school community.
The Charter Principal of Avery ES was Dr. Georgann Toop who served from 2007-2010. Ms. Letitia Cline became Principal of Avery ES in July 2010 and served in that role until 2012. Dr. Pam Spencer, who served as one of Avery's assistant principals during the 2007-2008 charter year, returns in July 2012 as Avery's principal. Avery serves GR K-5 with an enrollment of approximately 1125 students. Although Avery ES is relatively a new school, the sense of community and school pride is prevalent throughout the school and community.