Cherokee High School held its first classes during the academic year of 1956-57. The faculty consisted of 34 teachers and one principal with 821 students. The school plan consisted of only two buildings: the building housing the classrooms and offices and the building then called the agriculture building. During the period from 1957 to 1970, a gymnasium, auditorium, vocational building, language arts building and 21 additional classrooms were added. During the period from 1999 - present, a new science and foreign language building and an administration building has been added. At the beginning of the 2006 - 2007 school year, Cherokee High School has approximately 140 teachers and 2100 students.
Cherokee High School offers a comprehensive program of academic, vocational and enrichment courses. The students Activities Program consists of clubs and activity organizations. Cherokee High School is fully accredited by the Georgia Accrediting Commission and the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools.