Cherokee County School District offers a wide range of assistive technology services for our students with disabilities to help them increase participation and achievement in their educational programs and to have access to a Free and Appropriate Education.
What is an Assistive Technology Device?
- Assistive Technology Device . . . any item, piece of equipment or product system, whether acquired commercially off the shelf, modified, or customized that is used to increase, maintain or improve the functional capabilities of children with disabilities
- In short, an assistive technology device is an item or piece of equipment, which when used, increases functional capabilities. It can be any tool or device that a student with a disability uses to do a task that he or she could not do otherwise or any tool the student uses to do a task more easily, faster, or in a better way. It can be a simple low tech tool such as a pencil grip or a high tech tool such as a computer.
What are Assistive Technology Services?
- Assistive Technology Services . . . any service that directly assists an individual with a disability in the selection, acquisition, or the use of an assistive technology device. Such terms include:
- Evaluating – This includes the evaluation of a student’s needs, including a functional evaluation in the child’s customary environment.
- Providing Devices – This includes providing for the acquisition of an assistive technology device.
- Selecting and Repairing – This includes the selecting, designing, fitting, customizing, adapting, applying, maintaining, repairing, and/or replacing of assistive technology devices.
- Coordinating – This includes coordinating with other therapies, interventions, or services with assistive technology services, such as those associated with existing education and rehabilitation plans or programs.
- Training/Technical Assistance-Child – This includes training and technical assistance for an individual with disabilities, or when appropriate, the child’s family.
- Training/Technical Assistance-Professionals – This includes the training or technical assistance of professionals, employers, or others who provide services to, employ, or are otherwise substantially involved in the major life functions of children with disabilities.
What kinds of assistive technology are there?
There are many ways to categorize assistive technology devices. One useful way is to group them according to the task in which they are helpful.
- Learning & Studying
- Computer Access
- Recreation & Leisure
- Vocational Tasks
- Activities of Daily Living