About Macedonia Elementary School...
Macedonia Elementary School is located approximately 10 miles east of Canton, Georgia. The school, which opened its doors in 1921, was named for the Macedonia Community. The original building, located one-half mile north of the present site, was a four-room building. It was designed to consolidate students through the eighth grade from seven nearby schools. The older wing of the current building was first opened in the 1956-1957 school year. A gymnasium was added in 1958, and the softball field was opened in 1964. In 1985, Cherokee County adopted the middle school concept, and the seventh and eighth graders were removed from the elementary school configuration. In 1998, a new primary building (office and classrooms) was completed and the students moved into the new wing while the older buildings were renovated. The primary addition contains a media center, cafeteria, office complex, computer lab, and 21 classrooms. In 2000, Macedonia Elementary incorporated fifth and sixth grades from Buffington and Free Home Elementary in the renovated classrooms. In 2004, the sixth grade moved to the new Creekland Middle School. During 2006-2007, the student population increased to approximately 1,050 in kindergarten through fifth grades. The 2007 opening of Avery Elementary changed the attendance district and reduced the student population to under 800.
New construction began during the 2008-2009 school term, adding two wings to the 1998 campus. Macedonia Elementary opened the 2009-2010 term with 16 additional classrooms, office and supply space. The most progressive instructional technology equipment has been incorporated in every area. A new gymnasium occupies the front main campus, complete with a performance-quality stage, lighting, bleachers, and hardwood flooring. New outside basketball courts adjacent to the lower wing provide additional opportunities for student activities.
Macedonia Elementary Mission Statement
Macedonia Elementary School will celebrate academics, innovation and character.